Announcement Regarding Consolidated Results Forecast for Fiscal 2001May 8, 2001
The following is an announcement of consolidated results forecast for Fiscal 2001, ended March 31, 2001 (hereinafter referred to as “the year”).
1. Consolidated Results Forecast for Fiscal 2001
|Revenues (Consolidated)||Operating Income (Consolidated)||Ordinary Income (Consolidated)||Net Income (Consolidated)|
|FY2001 (Forecast) [A]||395,000||15,000||18,000||29,000|
|FY2000 (For reference) [B]||423,220||8,377||-51,932||8,446|
2. Consolidated Revenues
As two of our major consolidated subsidiaries do not fall within the scope for inclusion in the consolidated accounts, a fall in revenues is indicated; however, due to our successful business activities both in Japan and abroad, actual revenues have increased.
Regarding business activities in Japan, as a result of the good performance of our e-finance, e-commerce and other businesses, we expect revenues to increase relative to the same term last year.
Overseas, the revenue of our consolidated U.S. subsidiary, Key3Media Group, Inc., has been steadily expanding. However, UTStarcom, Inc. is no longer a consolidated subsidiary due to the exercise of a warrant following its IPO. In addition, our consolidated U.S. subsidiary Ziff-Davis Inc. was sold. As a result, revenues are expected to fall. However, taking into consideration that revenues for both companies reached 24% of the revenues posted for the same term last year, consolidated revenues are increasing smoothly.
3. Consolidated Operating Income
Due to our successful business activities and the sale of Ziff-Davis, our operating income increased.
Our e-finance business, centered around our consolidated subsidiary, SOFTBANK INVESTMENT CORPORATION, and Key3Media Group, have achieved good results, and we have completed the sale of Ziff-Davis which incurred an operating loss in the previous term. These are the main factors which have enabled us to increase operating income and offset the increase in operating expenses, which occurred due to our establishment of new companies in Japan.
4. Consolidated Ordinary Income
There was also an increase in ordinary income due to the occurrence of remeasurement exchange gain and a reduction of interest expenses.
As of year-end, SOFTBANK Holdings Inc. held approximately 140 billion yen in yen denominated inter-company loans from SOFTBANK CORP., and SOFTBANK CORP. held approximately $700 million in U.S. dollar denominated loans to foreign subsidiaries. Due to the depreciating yen at the end of the year, we expect an exchange gain of approximately 28 billion yen.
With the sale of Ziff-Davis, interest-bearing debt held by that company of approximately US$1,100 million were decreased and interest expenses showed a decrease.
Equity in Losses
Although Aozora Bank, Ltd., and Yahoo! Inc. of the United States, showed equity in earnings, the investments of U.S.-based SOFTBANK Capital Partners Investment Inc. (Delaware, U.S.A., hereinafter, SBCP) showed equity in losses, resulting in a projected overall equity in losses.
Our ownership in Azami Life Insurance Co., Ltd., in which we invested in February-March 2001 through our wholly owned subsidiary, SOFTBANK FINANCE CORPORATION was 50% at the end of the term. However, because the infusion of capital from other companies was expected to reduce our ownership to less than 20% (effective April 26, 2001) from the onset of this venture, the equity method was not applied to Azami Life.
5. Consolidated Net Income
Net income increased for the year due to successful IPOs by Group companies and sales of investment securities as a result of a restructuring of our portfolio.
Main sources of extraordinary gains for this term include
- Sale of shares of Cisco Systems K.K
- Approximately 30.8 billion yen
- Sale of shares of Yahoo! Inc
- Approximately 36.2 billion yen
- Sale of shares related to IPO of Sky Perfect Communications, Inc
- Approximately 11.4 billion yen
- Sale of shares related to IPO of SOFTBANK INVESTMENT CORPORATION
- Approximately 15 billion yen
- *Including dilution gain
- Releases, announcements, presentations and other information available from this page and elsewhere on this website were prepared based on information available and views held at the time of preparation and speak only as of the respective dates on which they are filed or used by SoftBank Group Corp. or the applicable group company, as the case may be. Such information is subject to change and may become out-of-date. Such information may also contain forward-looking statements which are by their nature subject to various risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results and future developments to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Please read legal notices in its entirety prior to viewing any information available on this website.