and Rules of Conduct
In order to maintain the balance between the environment, society, and the economy and contribute to sustainable development, SoftBank Corp. carries out independent initiatives founded on a “Corporate Social Responsibility” (CSR) perspective in activities and transactions with all interested parties (shareholders, employees, customers, business partners, suppliers, and governments) while also requesting interested parties in the supply chain to act based on a CSR perspective.
Originally, CSR is a voluntary initiative carried out by each company. However, in order for SoftBank Corp. to provide safe, highly reliable, and high value products and services to customers, it is essential that we have the cooperation of each business partner and supplier within our supply chain.
Based on this idea, we have established the “Supplier Ethics and Rules of Conduct” and request that suppliers proactively strive to implement these rules.
Furthermore, when it comes to fulfilling these rules, we ask that all business partners and suppliers comply not only within their own companies but extend this initiative to include their own suppliers.
Compliance items for suppliers
- Concern for the environment
- Proactively strive to improve efficiency when using limited resources (for example, energy, water, and raw materials).
- Establish the appropriate management, execution, and technical means of control to minimize the release of harmful waste products to the environment and strive to prevent environmental pollution.
- Promote initiatives which consider climate change including a reduction in the volume of greenhouse gas emissions (such as carbon dioxide, methane, dinitrogen oxide, chloro-fluorocarbon gas).
- Conduct business activities with a concern for the impact on biodiversity.
- Contribute to the creation of a recycling-based society by proactively collecting waste materials and engaging in recycling activities. Moreover, comply with the relevant laws and regulations concerning all waste materials discharged by business activities and take responsibility as a waste emitter.
- Promote initiatives to develop and provide environmentally friendly products and services to reduce the impact on the environment.
- Information security
- Strictly manage and protect private information within your own company as well as that of customers and third parties.
- Strictly manage the confidential information of other parties which is acquired during the course of business while also not leaking such information to third parties without permission.
- Defend against computer viruses and other network risks and threats as well as implement measures to prevent their impact from spreading.
- Fair competition
- Do not engage in any form of bribery behavior including the inappropriate supply of money to employees or from employees and organizations.
- Comply with the laws and regulations relating to fair transactions including the Antimonopoly Act and the Act against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds, etc. to Subcontractors.
- In the event that SoftBank Corp.’s executives, employees, or their family members are executives or major shareholders of a supplier or its own suppliers with respect to transactions with SoftBank Corp., such information shall be reported to SoftBank Corp.
- Ensure quality and safety
- Supply products which meet the safety standards stipulated by laws and regulations, etc.
- Build a quality assurance system and operate it in a strict manner.
- Provide accurate information concerning products and services.
- Understand the quality and features required by users and the general public and supply products which meet those expectations.
- Strive to provide products and services which contribute to the maintenance of communication networks and the improvement of communication quality.
- Occupational safety and health
- A healthy and safe working environment must be provided to employees according to international standards and laws and regulations.
- A living environment which appropriately ensures safety and health must be provided to employees.
- Provide the appropriate information and training concerning safety and health to employees while also providing suitable support when an occupational accident occurs.
- Prohibition of child labor
- Do not employ persons who are below the working age permitted by law.
- Prohibition of forced labor
- Employees must not do forced, binding, or subordinate labor, and shall be able to freely resign with a reasonable period of notice.
- Prohibition of discrimination and inhumane treatment
- Eliminate all forms of discrimination. In addition, strive to achieve fairness.
- Employees shall be treated with respect and dignity and shall not be subject to physical or verbal abuse, harassment, threats, or any form of intimidation.
- Working hours
- Employee working hours shall of course comply with laws and regulations, and suppliers shall strive to reduce excessive working hours.
- Consider the occupation, duties, and circumstances of the country in which the labor is performed with respect to reasonable working hours.
- Fair payment
- Employees understand their own employment conditions, and they are provided with fair and reasonable wage payment and conditions.
- Employees are able to secure the legal minimum wage in the country where they work.
- Freedom of association
- Employees have the legal right to freely associate or not associate, and the right to collective bargaining shall be respected.
- Responsible mineral procurement
- The tantalum, tin, tungsten, and gold included in products must not be sourced from anti-government forces that are infringing on human rights in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and surrounding countries.
- Thorough communication and dissemination
- SoftBank Corp. shall explain the details of these Supplier Ethics and Rules of Conduct to internal and external interested parties including suppliers to promote compliance.
- In order to comply with these rules, suppliers are requested to make sure that all concerned parties thoroughly understand these rules while also making all reasonable efforts to promote these rules among their own suppliers as well.
- Scope of application
- Suppliers are requested to comply the relevant laws, regulations, and standards in the countries where they operate.
- In the course of fulfilling these rules or similar rules of conduct, suppliers are requested to work in a cooperative manner together with SoftBank Corp.
- In order for SoftBank Corp. to evaluate the status of fulfillment of these rules, suppliers are requested to disclose all related information to SoftBank Corp. in a manner which is timely, legal, and appropriate.
- Each supplier is requested to make a reasonable effort to ensure that their own suppliers fulfill the same rules.
- Remedial measures
- Suppliers are requested to identify conduct which does not meet the standards of these rules and take corrective action without delay.
- In the event that a serious violation of these rules occurs, suppliers are requested to immediately report the violation to SoftBank Corp. together with a plan to implement remedial measures while also promptly carrying out said remedial measures.
- In the event that a serious violation of these rules is not corrected, SoftBank Corp. may consider termination of business transactions with the corresponding supplier.
- Monitoring and reporting
- SoftBank Corp. and its suppliers shall make reasonable efforts to provide anonymous methods for employees and other interested parties to be able to report violations or potential violations of these rules.