SOFTBANK CORP. and News Corporation Group agreed to establish a joint venture MySpace Japan K.K.“MySpace Japan”, a Japanese version of the World’s Largest SNS “MySpace”, starts its beta service todayNov. 7, 2006
SOFTBANK CORP. (Head office: Minato-ku, Tokyo; Chairman and CEO: Masayoshi Son; hereinafter “SOFTBANK”) has come to an agreement with FIM International B.V. (Head office: Amsterdam, Netherland; President: Ross Levinsohn; hereinafter “FIM”) of News Corporation Group (Head office: New York, U.S.A; Chairman and CEO: K. Rupert Murdoch) on the establishment of MySpace Japan K.K., to operate “MySpace Japan(http://jp.myspace.com/)” as a Japanese version of the World’s Largest Social Networking Service (SNS) “MySpace”. The beta service (test service) of "MySpace Japan" starts today.
“MySpace(http://www.myspace.com/)” is an open-end SNS which started in the United States in January 2004. As it has many ‘playful’ features such as highly design-customizable member profile page, musicians’ sites with a trial listening function and more, “MySpace” achieved in less than 3 years after its launch of the service to become the second in the world*1 in terms of monthly page views and now it has grown to the world’s largest SNS boasting the registered members of 125 million, adding about 320,000 users per day. “MySpace” has already started its localized service in 6 countries, and Japan is the first in Asia.
SOFTBANK will collaborate with MySpace Inc. (Head office: California, U.S.A.; CEO: Chris DeWolfe; hereinafter “MySpace US”) to expand and enrich the Japanese site and to develop an unprecedented SNS in Japan effectively utilizing features of “MySpace” and through providing services meeting demands in the Japanese market based on various experiences in the Internet field. In the future, SOFTBANK will study deployment over mobile handsets as well as synergy effects with other services of the SOFTBANK Group.
- *1Researched by comScore Networks, Inc.
1. Main Characteristic of “MySpace”
(1) Place to express yourself
Up until now, SNS in Japan mainly use fixed format and are primarily text based. However, with "MySpace", members can freely customize their background and layout.
(2) Promotion by 3 million artists
With its function to stream music and promotional video, worldwide artists are using “MySpace” as their promotional opportunity, including world famous musicians such as Madonna and U2, to indie labels. Additionally, “MySpace” also hosts secret gigs as events in a real world exclusive to members frequently.
To mark the launch of “MySpace Japan”, we will be hosting a special acoustic show in Japan exclusive to registered members of “MySpace Japan” on November 15, 2006, inviting Noel Gallegher, guitalist and vocalist and Gem, guitalist of OASIS, popular rock band with more than 40 million album sales. Details of this show will be announced on "MySpace Japan" site.
(3) Invite-free, worldwide service
In the nature of invite-free, open-type SNS, anyone can register to “MySpace” anytime*2. Currently 125 million people worldwide registered as a member, and enjoy communication with overseas members.
“MySpace” is providing a wide variety of services which will meets users’ demands, with basic functions like email and blogs and various services such as communities, groups, movie information, and so on.
- *2No one under 14 admitted
2. Details of the Joint Venture
|Company Name||MySpace Japan K.K.|
|Capital||Approximately 590 million yen|
|Capital reserve||Approximately 590 million yen
(translated amount based on the exchange rate of 1$=118.27 yen as of Nov. 7)
|Investment ratio||SOFTBANK CORP.50%
FIM International BV50%
|Date of Establishment||mid-November|
|Field of business||Operation of "MySpace Japan"|
|Representative||Ross Levinsohn, President|
MySpace Inc. http://www.myspace.com/
|Representative||Chris DeWolfe, CEO|
SOFTBANK CORP. http://www.softbank.co.jp/
|Location||1-9-1, Higashi-Shimbashi Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan|
|Representative||Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO|
- Releases, announcements, presentations and other information available from this page and elsewhere on this website were prepared based on information available and views held at the time of preparation and speak only as of the respective dates on which they are filed or used by SoftBank Group Corp. or the applicable group company, as the case may be. Such information is subject to change and may become out-of-date. Such information may also contain forward-looking statements which are by their nature subject to various risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results and future developments to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Please read legal notices in its entirety prior to viewing any information available on this website.