Press Releases 2021
SoftBank Corp. Selected as Constituent
for MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index
February 3, 2021
SoftBank Corp. (TOKYO: 9434, “SoftBank”) today announced that for the first time it was selected as a constituent for the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index, a leading environmental, social and governance (ESG) index that has been adopted as a benchmark by Japan's Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF)—the world's largest public pension fund—for passive ESG investing.
The MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index selects companies from Japan's top 700 listed companies by market capitalization based on their ESG performance relative to their respective industries while limiting systematic risks introduced by the ESG selection process. Headquartered in New York, MSCI Inc. is an American financial services company that develops and provides stock market indexes. As of December 2020, the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index was comprised of 235 Japanese companies.
Based on its concept of “a world where all things, information and minds are connected,” SoftBank is working to realize a sustainable society. SoftBank's thorough promotion of ESG initiatives was highly evaluated by MSCI, resulting in its selection as a constituent for the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index.
SoftBank has already been chosen for inclusion in the FTSE Blossom Japan Index and S&P/JPX Carbon Efficient Index, which have also been adopted by GPIF as benchmarks for passive ESG investing. With its inclusion in the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index, SoftBank is now in three ESG indexes adopted by GPIF.
Guided by its corporate philosophy, “Information Revolution — Happiness for everyone,” SoftBank will aim to increase corporate value while promoting sustainable practices and resolving social issues through its corporate activities and business activities that leverage the strengths of its advanced technologies.
For more information on SoftBank's Sustainability, please visit
For more information on the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index, please visit
- THE INCLUSION OF SOFTBANK CORP. IN ANY MSCI INDEX, AND THE USE OF MSCI LOGOS, TRADEMARKS, SERVICE MARKS OR INDEX NAMES HEREIN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SPONSORSHIP, ENDORSEMENT OR PROMOTION OF SOFTBANK CORP. BY MSCI OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES.
- THE MSCI INDEXES ARE THE EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF MSCI.
- MSCI AND THE MSCI INDEX NAMES AND LOGOS ARE TRADEMARKS OR SERVICE MARKS OF MSCI OR ITS AFFILIATES.
- FTSE Russell is a registered trademark of FTSE International Limited and the Frank Russell Company.
- Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC.
- SoftBank, the SoftBank name and logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SoftBank Group Corp. in Japan and other countries.
- Other company, product and service names in this press release are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies.