SOFTBANK BB to Launch B-R@S VPN Connection Service for Corporate MarketJune 11, 2003
SOFTBANK BB Corp. (Representative: Masayoshi Son; Head office: Chuo-ku, Tokyo; SOFTBANK BB below) will launch B-R@S, a VPN (virtual private network) service, from July 1. The service is aimed at corporate clients and will enable IP connection from the Internet to the client's company network.
B-R@S is targeted at companies that have subscribed to the corporate high-speed optical fiber access service provided by SOFTBANK BB. This is a packaged service that covers certification of remote access to company networks, VPN connection from the client (company employee) to the access point, VPN connection from the access point to the company network, and user IDs and passwords for remote access. Companies subscribing to the service will be able to use the SOFTBANK BB Network like a VPN dedicated line service and employees who have a terminal connected to the Internet will be able to access the company network from ubiquitous locations. This service will enable access from ADSL services such as Yahoo! BB, ISDN, dial-up connections, Yahoo! BB mobiles and other public wireless LAN locations, mobile phones, and PHS devices.
The security for the service uses IPsec (*1) encoding technology for transmissions from the terminal to the B-R@S gateway and between the access point and the company network. This prevents wiretapping, fake authentication, and falsification by code matching and offers clients a convenient service in a highly secure environment. Some remote clients accessing the Internet have a PC which itself has been allocated a private IP address and this has been NAT (*2) exchanged to a global address by the ISP. In this case IPsec transmission is usually not possible. With B-R@S, however, the IPsec is further encapsulated and even in a NAT exchanged environment high security IPsec transmission is possible.
When there is a connection request to the B-R@S gateway, Radius (*3) is used in a two- phase process to authenticate the company ID and company password, and the user ID and user password. For companies subscribing to the service the systems manager is provided with a web management control panel that enables the manager to change the Radius ID and password.
The service carries an initial fee of ¥54,000, a monthly basic fee of ¥19,800 and a monthly charge of ¥980 per ID (¥800 during the sales campaign to the end of September this year). As part of its service to provide broadband infrastructure to corporate clients SOFTBANK BB has set up a center to respond to breakdowns 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The company is committed to gaining client confidence by providing reliable service and a strong range of services that support a wide range of company businesses. SOFTBANK BB will continue to work to upgrade the stable operation of its network and its solutions and contribute to expanding its clients' broadband infrastructure.
Through this new service SOFTBANK BB offers a new style of corporate communication and a new work style by enabling ubiquitous secure broadband access from home ADSLs and public wireless LANs. The company is also contributing to creating new lifestyles by enabling many Yahoo! BB and Yahoo! BB mobile users to use the service and offering an environment where they can use broadband not just for personal use but also for work.
- *1IPsec: TCP/IP protocol with security function added.
- *2NAT exchange: Function that enables mutual conversion between an internal private company address and a global IP address.
- *3Radius: Abbreviation for Remote Authentication Dial-in Service developed by US company Livingstone. The Radius protocol sends the user name and password to the Radius server and if authentication is completed connection is authorized.
- *To use the service clients must use the corporate high-speed access service offered by SOFTBANK BB and IP REVOLUTION (1 gigabyte, 100M platinum, 100M platinum light, 100M super gold, 100M gold). The minimum required period of use is one year from the day fees were first charged.
- *The SOFTBANK BB Corporate Customer Support Center will only respond to inquiries from clients applying for the B-R@S service. Individual customers (remote PC users) should direct their inquiries to the internal technical manager at client companies.
- *Stated rates do not include tax.
- *Company and product names cited in the text are registered trading names.
B-R@S Initial and Monthly Charges
|Initial charge||54,000 yen|
|Monthly charges||Monthly basic charge||19,800 yen|
|Monthly ID usage charge||980 yen*/ ID|
- **800 yen until end of September 2003 (campaign price)
|Service charge for changing ID numbers||4,000 yen per change|
- *These charges apply to clients who use VPN equipment provided by vendors with whom SOFTBANK BB has a business tie-up. Separate charges will apply to clients wishing to use other designated equipment.
- *These charges are determined such that the number of simultaneous sessions is not less than 25% of the total number of accounts. Separate charges will apply to clients wishing additional numbers of simultaneous sessions.
B-R@S Optional Services
- *Client VPN Equipment Rental Menu when Using Nextscreen 5XT
|Initial charge||54,000 yen|
|Initial Charges||Basic installation charges||35,000 yen|
|Onsite installation charge||90,000 yen|
|Monthly usage charge||19,000 yen|
- *Equipment Setting Changes when Using Client Designated Equipment
|VPN equipment setting change charge||5,000 yen per job|
SOFTBANK BB Corp.
|Trade name||SOFTBANK BB Corp.|
|Head office||24-1 Nihonbashi Hakozaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo|
|Representative||President and CEO: Masayoshi Son|
|Date of Establishment||May 16, 2000|
|Date of merger||January 7, 2003|
|Type of Business||The Company engages in the provision of broadband infrastructure and services centering on Yahoo! BB as well as in technical development, marketing, sales and support. The Company offers IT-related distribution and services, supervises, and administers affiliated broadband and e-commerce companies.|
- The information is true and accurate at the time of publication.
Price, specification, contact and other information of products and service may be subjected to change. The information contains certain forward-looking statements that are subject to known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements.