Launch “On-board Ship Mobile” for Using Mobile
Phone on Board Vessels Circumnavigating Overseas
Tokyo, June 15, 2010 --- SOFTBANK MOBILE Corp. (hereafter “SBM”) announces that it will launch “On-board Ship Mobile” that supports the mobile phone service of SBM on board vessels circumnavigating overseas on June 16, 2010.
“On-board Ship Mobile” is a service that enables people to use their SoftBank Handsets on board vessels circumnavigating overseas with the same mobile phone number for voice calls and SMS. Execution of an agreement on roaming with Maritime Communications Partner (Norway) and Seanet Maritime Communications AB (Sweden) realizes provision of mobile phone service on board. The number of ships supported by the two companies is currently about 150 including luxury liners such as Sapphire Princess and Bleu de France and those ships are mainly cruising around European waters.
SBM will offer “On-board Ship Mobile” for more ships and cruising routes along with service expansion of the both companies.
Outline of “On-board Ship Mobile”
1. Service launch date
June 16, 2010
2. Compatible handsets
“Global Roaming Service” compatible handsets
(Excluding handsets exclusive for 3G network)
3. Available services
Voice calls, SMS
- *Planned to offer packet communication service in the future.
4. Service charge
|Voice call (per minute)||SMS (per message)|
|650 yen||890 yen||180 yen||Free|
Not required (Application for Global Roaming Service is necessary.)
- *“On-board Ship Mobile” is available when ships supporting this service are cruising on high seas.
- *The details of ships supporting this service will be available on the website of SOFTBANK MOBILE Corp.(Japanese Only) from June 16, 2010.
- *SOFTBANK, the SOFTBANK name and logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SOFTBANK CORP. in Japan and other countries.
- *The names of the companies, products and services used in this press release are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies.
- The information is true and accurate at the time of publication.
Price, specification, contact and other information of products and service may be subjected to change. The information contains certain forward-looking statements that are subject to known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements.