SoftBank Corp. (TOKYO: 9434, “SoftBank”) announced that for the second year in a row it was selected as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia/Pacific Index. The Dow Jones Sustainability Asia/Pacific Index is part of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (“DJSI”), one of the most prestigious global indices for Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) investing.
The DJSI are leading indices of ESG investments jointly developed by S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC in the United States and RobecoSAM AG in Switzerland. Offered since 1999, the DJSI selects leading sustainable companies for inclusion by comprehensively analyzing the economic, environmental and social performances of listed companies around the world.
As part of the DJSI's annual review, 156 companies (74 of them Japan-based) out of 604 major companies based in the Asia-Pacific developed region were selected for inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia/Pacific Index for 2022.
In 2022 SoftBank's total S&P Global ESG Score was 88/100, and it achieved full scores in 8 out of 25 criteria, including Materiality, Tax Strategy, Policy Influence and Environmental Policy & Management Systems. SoftBank also scored 85/100 in Labor Practice Indicators and 88/100 for Human Capital Development.
Based on the concept of “a world where all things, information and minds are connected,” SoftBank has identified six material issues (or key challenges). By promoting its businesses in the information and technology domain, SoftBank aims to solve problems people and society are facing, and thereby enhance its corporate value. Furthermore, in August 2022, SoftBank pledged to reduce emissions generated by its supply chain to virtually zero to achieve ‘Net Zero’ emissions by 2050. Under this pledge, as the international community aims to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2050, SoftBank will work to reduce all greenhouse gas emissions related to its business activities to virtually zero by utilizing AI and its other advanced technologies, and by working closely with its business partners. While fulfilling its responsibilities as a corporate citizen, SoftBank will work to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society.
From 2021, SoftBank has received the highest rating from the Nikkei SDGs Management Survey, which evaluates companies based on their contributions to achieve the SDGs, for two consecutive years. Furthermore, SoftBank has been selected by FTSE Russell—a wholly-owned subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange Group—as a component for its FTSE4Good Index Series, a world-leading environmental, social and governance (ESG) index, and the FTSE Blossom Japan Index, an ESG index focused on Japan-based companies. In 2022, it was selected for the first time for inclusion in the FTSE Blossom Japan Sector Relative Index. In addition, SoftBank was selected by MSCI as a constituent for the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index and the MSCI Japan Empowering Women Select Index (WIN).
- *FTSE Blossom Japan Index, FTSE Blossom Japan Sector Relative Index, MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index and MSCI Japan Empowering Women Select Index (WIN) have been adopted by Japan's Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF), the world's largest public pension fund, as benchmarks for passive ESG investing.
- The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices name and the Member Logo are trademarks or service marks of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC.
- FTSE Russell is a registered trademark of FTSE International Limited and the Frank Russell Company.
- THE INCLUSION OF SOFTBANK CORP. IN ANY MSCI INDEX, AND THE USE OF MSCI LOGOS, TRADEMARKS, SERVICE MARKS OR INDEX NAMES HEREIN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SPONSORSHIP, ENDORSEMENT OR PROMOTION OF SOFTBANK CORP. BY MSCI OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES.
- THE MSCI INDEXES ARE THE EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF MSCI.
- MSCI AND THE MSCI INDEX NAMES AND LOGOS ARE TRADEMARKS OR SERVICE MARKS OF MSCI OR ITS AFFILIATES.
- Standard & Poor's and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC.
- SoftBank, the SoftBank name and logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SoftBank Group Corp. in Japan and other countries.
- Other company, product and service names in this notice are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies.