SoftBank Corp. Enacts Measures to Support
Earthquake Relief in Southern Turkey
Relief measures include making international calls to Turkey free of charge
and deploying the portable water reuse system “WOTA BOX”
February 16, 2023
(Updated on March 6, 2023)
(Updated on February 22, 2023)
SoftBank Corp. (“SoftBank”) today announced that starting on February 15 it began enacting various relief measures to support those affected by the earthquake that struck Southern Turkey on February 6, 2023.
(March 6, 2023, update)
Applicable period for international voice calls (long distance calls) and other services made free of charge extended to May 31, 2023.
(February 22, 2023, update)
Fixed-line international voice call (long distance call) services added.
1. International voice calls and international SMS between Japan and Turkey to be made free of charge
To support communication in the affected areas, SoftBank is making international voice calls and SMS between Japan and Turkey free of charge for customers using its ‘SoftBank,’ ‘Y!mobile’ and ‘LINEMO’ branded smartphone and mobile phone services.
(1) International voice call and international SMS services
For customers using ‘SoftBank,’ ‘Y!mobile’ and ‘LINEMO’ branded smartphone and mobile phone services, outgoing international calls from Japan to Turkey will be free of charge, and international SMS messages sent from Japan to Turkey will also be free of charge.
(2) Global roaming service
For customers using ‘SoftBank,’ ‘Y!mobile’ and ‘LINEMO’ branded smartphone and mobile phone services roaming in Turkey, domestic calls made within Turkey and international calls made to Japan will be free of charge. SMS messages sent within Turkey and to Japan will also be free of charge.
(3) Fixed-line international call (long distance call) services
For customers using the following services, long distance calls made from Japan to Turkey will be made free of charge.
|Applicable fixed-line services||
February 6, 2023 – May 31, 2023 (Japan Standard Time)
- *In some cases, usage in the applicable period will be billed and then refunded in the following month or thereafter.
- *Customers must have an ongoing contract for the applicable charges to be refunded.
- *For customers using ‘Simple Style’ mobile phones (prepaid mobile phones), applicable charges will first be deducted from the charged balance in the applicable month. In the following month or thereafter, applicable usage fees in the applicable month will be refunded to the charged balance. Customers must have an ongoing contract at the time of the refund to have their balances charged up.
2. Provision of portable water reuse system “WOTA BOX”
To provide safe and clean water for showering and hand washing to victims, medical personnel, aid workers and others in the affected areas, SoftBank plans to lend five “WOTA BOX” portable water reuse systems from WOTA CORP. to NGOs. SoftBank has a capital and business partnership with WOTA CORP.
3. Lending of satellite phones to aid organizations working in affected areas
SoftBank will lend satellite phones to NGOs and other aid organizations working in the affected areas for use as a means of communication and confirming the safety of those in the affected areas.
Separately, on February 9, 2023, SoftBank launched a “2023 Turkey and Syria Earthquake Relief Fund Project” and is accepting donations to support relief and reconstruction efforts in the affected areas.