SoftBank Corp. (“SoftBank”) announced on November 7 it received a gold rating from ‘work with Pride’*1 (“wwP”), a Japan-based organization that promotes LGBTQ+-friendly human resource practices, in its ‘PRIDE Index 2023.’ SoftBank has now received the gold award, the highest ranking, for seven consecutive years starting in 2017.
The PRIDE Index is an evaluation method that was drawn up by wwP in 2016. SoftBank was evaluated for meeting the criteria in all five categories below.
SoftBank will continue to foster an environment that enables employees in a diverse workforce to fully realize their potential. By maximizing the productivity of both individuals and organizations, SoftBank aims to be a company that continues to grow.
Reference: SoftBank's LGBTQ+-friendly initiatives
- SoftBank amended its internal rules and definitions to recognize same-sex partners as spouses*2. Employees with same-sex spouses are eligible to receive spousal benefits equal to those of other married couples. Benefits include marriage leave and congratulatory/condolence payments.
- SoftBank set up an LGBTQ+-related consultation desk.
- SoftBank conducts e-learning programs and holds seminars by people involved with LGBTQ+ matters.
- SoftBank encourages “Ally”*3 activities led by volunteer employees to foster a culture of LGBTQ+ understanding and acceptance.
- SoftBank appears at external events and introduces its own initiatives to promote LGBTQ+ awareness.
- SoftBank holds “Diversity Week” at a specified time as means to consider how a diverse workforce can be actively utilized. Various seminars and events for employees are held during Diversity Week.
- SoftBank supports ‘Tokyo Rainbow Pride,’ an LGBTQ+ event held by NPO Tokyo Rainbow Pride.
- SoftBank applies family discounts and other family services to ‘SoftBank’ and ‘Y!mobile’ customers who submit documentation from local governments and other authorities that give proof of same-sex partnerships*4.
- *1For more information on work with Pride, please see https://workwithpride.jp (in Japanese).
- *2SoftBank requires the submission of certain documents to recognize an employee's spouse.
- *3While not members of the LGBTQ+ community, people who actively support LGBTQ+-friendly initiatives.
- *4For those living in jurisdictions where documentation to prove same-sex partnerships is not issued, family services are applied if the customers share the same address.