Press Releases 2021
SB Power and SoftBank to
Supply Electricity Service Originating From
RE100 Compliant, Effectively Renewable Energy to
Yahoo! JAPAN's Shirakawa Data Center
May 27, 2021
SB Power Corp.
Yahoo Japan Corporation
An electricity retailer and a subsidiary of SoftBank Corp. (hereinafter “SoftBank”), SB Power Corp. (hereinafter “SB Power”), and SoftBank began providing an electricity service originating from effectively renewable energy sources to the Shirakawa Data Center of Yahoo Japan Corporation (hereinafeter “Yahoo! JAPAN”) from May, 2021.
Z Holdings Corporation, the parent company of Yahoo! JAPAN, aims to join a global initiative, RE100,*1 at the earliest possible stage. In January 2021, Yahoo! JAPAN also announced its commitment to shifting to 100% renewable energy for electricity used in its business operations by fiscal 2023.*2 95% of the electricity Yahoo! JAPAN uses in its business operations is consumed in its data centers. By supplying electricity service originating from effectively renewable energy that complies with RE100 to Yahoo! JAPAN, SB Power will reduce CO2 emissions and will contribute to the reduction of environmental impact. The electricity to be supplied to the Shirakawa Data Center uses “FIT (Feed-in Tariff Scheme for Renewable Energy) Non-Fossil Fuel Energy Certificates with Tracking Information,” etc. *3
SoftBank considers the resolution of the SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) themes as an important management issue and strives to resolve social issues faced by the international society through its business and corporate activities which are based on cutting-edge technology*4. In May 2021, SoftBank announced its “Carbon-Neutral 2030 Declaration,” and declared its commitment to achieving carbon netutrality by fiscal 2030, virtually eliminating greenhouse gas emissions derived from the electricity used in its business activities to zero*5. SB Power aims to contribute to the global environment through the development and provision of energy-related services, such as the provision of electric power services with low environmental impact and energy-saving services that utilize its proprietary AI (artificial intelligence) technology. Moving on, SoftBank will collaborate with SB Power to support, not only its Group companies, but also its corporate customers in their efforts to address the SDGs and global warming.
SB Power, SoftBank and Yahoo! JAPAN will continue to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society by fully utilizing the expertise, know-how and assets of each company.
- *1RE100 is a global initiative operated by the Climate Group and CDP to promote 100% renewable energy in corporate activities.
- *2Yahoo! JAPAN Declares “FY2023 100% Renewable Energy Challenge”
- *3Non-Fossil Fuel Energy Certificates certificate the environmental value of electricity generated from non-fossil power sources that do not use fossil fuels, such as solar power and hydroelectric power. Out of the Non-Fossil Fuel Energy Certificates, the "Non-Fossil Fuel Energy Certificates with Tracking Information" used this time, certificate the environmental value of FIT electricity, which is derived from renewable energy sources, and also include information such as the power generation method and location of the power plant (tracking). By combining the electricity supplied to customers with Non-Fossil Fuel Energy Certificates with Tracking Information, supply of electricity derived from renewable energy sources will be effectively realized.
- *4Please refer to https://www.softbank.jp/en/corp/sustainability/ for SoftBank's SDGs initiatives.
- *5SoftBank Announces “Carbon-Neutral 2030 Declaration, (Japanese only)” Virtually Eliminating Its Greenhouse Gas Emissions to Zero by 2030
- SoftBank, SoftBank's equivalent in Japanese and the SoftBank logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SoftBank Group Corp. in Japan and other countries.
- The names of the companies, products and services in this press release are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
Unless otherwise specified, English-language documents are prepared solely for the convenience of non-Japanese speakers. If there is any inconsistency between the English-language documents and the Japanese-language documents, the Japanese-language documents will prevail.